Job Title: Director of Grainger Engineering Design Innovation Laboratory
Job Location: University of Wisconsin – Madison
Position Vacancy Listing: PVL # 87471
Official Title: DIR, UNSPECIFIED (7)(M93DN)
Degree and area of specialization:
Advanced degree in engineering or related field.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Minimum of five years of experience in engineering design and/or design-related instruction.
This vacancy is being announced simultaneously with PVL# 87472, please note only one vacancy exists. The two position vacancy listings represent the interest of the College of Engineering to interview candidates with both faculty and non-faculty credentials for this new position.
The Director of the Grainger Engineering Design Innovation Laboratory is responsible for the management of a new facility currently planned for the College of Engineering. The facility is being designed to provide an accessible, safe, and broad opportunity for students to create prototypes and final products based on their engineering design ideas. Major capabilities will include 3D printing, electronics, including circuit board fabrication, and small machining. Students will use the facility for both curricular and extra-curricular activities.
The Director of the Grainger Engineering Design Innovation Laboratory is responsible for developing, supporting, and promoting programs offered by the facility.
The Director will perform the following duties:
– Develop policies for the use and management of the facility.
– Develop a plan for staffing the facility, in conjunction with existing facilities, such as the machine shops.
– Manage the permanent and student staff employed within the facility.
– Manage the supervision and training of users of the facility.
– Manage maintenance programs for all hardware in the facility.
– Manage the budget.
– Explore opportunities for the acquisition of new equipment.
– Develop and lead educational programs in the facility, including outreach and summer programs.
– Explore the development of design-related degree programs for engineering students.
– Encourage and manage user-led workshop and training programs.
– Establish a user community through social media and other means.
– Form an advisory group consisting of College of Engineering faculty and staff as well as local industry and alumni.
The Director of the Grainger Engineering Design Innovation Laboratory reports to the Executive Associate Dean.
Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled. Candidates that apply by the ensured consideration date will receive priority in the screening process.
A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring.
Department(s): ENGR/ACAD AFFRS
Full Time Salary: Minimum $80,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Rate: Depending on Qualifications
Appointment percent: 50% – 100%
Anticipated begin date: NOVEMBER 01, 2016
Number of Positions: 1
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION
Application must be received by: SEPTEMBER 30, 2016
HOW TO APPLY:
In order to apply, applications must be submitted online at https://uwjobapply.wisc.edu/Apply.aspx?pvl=87471
To apply, upload your CV and a cover letter explaining your relevant professional experience. Please reference PVL #87471 in your cover letter.
Questions about the position can be directed to:
1415 Engineering Dr
2620 Engineering Hall
Madison, WI 53706-1607
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
If you need to request an accommodation because of a disability you can find information about how to make a request at the following website: http://www.oed.wisc.edu/478.htm
Please indicate in writing if you request that your identity be kept confidential. If you do not indicate your preference to remain confidential, the University may be required to disclose your identify and/or application materials. The identity of finalists and successful candidates will be revealed upon request. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.