Many patients have forgotten what it’s like to not have trouble breathing. We’ve created a unique technology that combines hardware sensors and software to digitally guide the course of therapy for patients and physicians managing respiratory diseases. Our small team enjoys working together to create and apply technology to challenging problems that have enormous social costs. Inhalers come in all shapes and sizes, so we leverage off-the-shelf chipsets to deliver custom sensors for each medication delivery system. You work from the lowest levels of circuit design, all the way through to large-scale manufacturing. This role is an opportunity to shape the devices that help patients live life without the limits of their asthma or COPD.
Propeller’s mission is to make the disease experience different. How do we bridge the information gap between someone’s inhaler and the software that helps them use it better? Hardware. Our Hardware team designs and develops the technology that make our user’s interaction with Propeller’s software more powerful, and completely passive. Whether it’s finding new ways to capture and sense the world around the patient, advancing existing form factors, or improving interaction methods, our Hardware team is making patient’s lives better through wireless technology.
With your technical expertise, you lead programs from inception to launch. You’ll design new prototypes and refine well-established models, with full ownership of the outcome with our large-scale manufacturing partners. Starting at concept creation, our Hardware team architects, designs, develops, validates, and supports Propeller’s sensors through the end of life. As a Hardware Design Engineer, you’ll be an integral part of the entire process, especially focusing on patient usability and form-factor design, mobile integration, and minimizing COGS.
If you’re ready to pour your passion into something that directly improves people’s lives, we want to meet you.
- Combine clever sensing techniques to design low-power, low-cost medical devices that can be manufactured in large volumes.
- Utilize Bluetooth Smart chipsets to communicate with mobile phones and other transmission systems to push and pull data from the Propeller cloud infrastructure.
- Work with cross-functional teams including Software Engineering, Quality Assurance, Product Design, Operations, Usability, and Finance to deliver a successful product to market.
- Plan and support validation of your designs in partnership with Propeller’s regulatory and quality assurance teams: functional verification, signal characterization, power modeling, coexistence testing.
- Bring your design to market by setting factory test requirements, and coordinating manufacturing.
- Establish and maintain relationships with supplies and manufacturing partners, keeping them strong for future product designs.
Things We’re Looking For:
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering (EE), Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), or equivalent practical experience. MS in EE or ECE preferred.
- 5+ years of work experience in consumer electronics/embedded systems design.
- Expertise in schematic capture, component selection, placement and PCB layout.
- Expertise in embedded systems, processor selection, wireless communication protocols, and low power design constraints.
- Experience in rapid prototyping and debugging board designs.
- Experience managing assembly BOMs and workflows to facilitate build documentation for contract manufacturers.
- Someone who enjoys working with a close-knit team, and getting their hands dirty in the lab. You’ll be involved in the details: soldering, oscilloscopes, data acquisition, and performance analysis.
- A high sense of ownership regardless of whether the problem originates in an area under your direct or indirect control.
- Track record of motivating teams and achieving aggressive performance goals.
- Ability to motivate, drive towards consensus, communicate clearly and effectively in person, in writing or by phone.
- A desire to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment; start-up experience is a plus.
- Someone who will live in / near our office in Madison, WI
Go the Propeller careers page and look for the Apply Now button.