Many patients have forgotten what it’s like to not have trouble breathing. We’ve created a unique technology that combines hardware sensors and software to digitally guide the course of therapy for patients and physicians managing respiratory diseases. Our small team enjoys working together to create and apply technology to challenging problems that have enormous social costs. Inhalers come in all shapes and sizes, so we leverage off-the-shelf chipsets to deliver custom sensors for each medication delivery system. You work from the lowest levels of circuit design, all the way through to large-scale manufacturing. This role is an opportunity to shape the devices that help patients live life without the limits of their asthma or COPD.
Propeller’s mission is to make the disease experience different. How do we bridge the information gap between someone’s inhaler and the software that helps them use it better? Hardware. Our Hardware team designs and develops the technology that make our user’s interaction with Propeller’s software more powerful, and completely passive. Whether it’s finding new ways to capture and sense the world around the patient, advancing existing form factors, or improving interaction methods, our Hardware team is making patient’s lives better through wireless technology.
With your technical expertise, you lead programs from inception to launch. You’ll design new prototypes and refine well-established models, with full ownership of the outcome with our large-scale manufacturing partners. Starting at concept creation, our Hardware team architects, designs, develops, validates, and supports Propeller’s sensors through the end of life. As a Hardware Design Engineer, you’ll be an integral part of the entire process, especially focusing on patient usability and form-factor design, mobile integration, and minimizing COGS.
If you’re ready to pour your passion into something that directly improves people’s lives, we want to meet you.
- Combine clever sensing techniques to design low-power, low-cost medical devices that can be manufactured in large volumes.
- Utilize Bluetooth Smart chipsets to communicate with mobile phones and other transmission systems to push and pull data from the Propeller cloud infrastructure.
- Work with cross-functional teams including Software Engineering, Quality Assurance, Product Design, Operations, Usability, and Finance to deliver a successful product to market.
- Plan and support validation of your designs in partnership with Propeller’s regulatory and quality assurance teams: functional verification, signal characterization, power modeling, coexistence testing.
- Bring your design to market by setting factory test requirements, and coordinating manufacturing.
- Establish and maintain relationships with supplies and manufacturing partners, keeping them strong for future product designs.
Things We’re Looking For:
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering (EE), Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), or equivalent practical experience. MS in EE or ECE preferred.
- 5+ years of work experience in consumer electronics/embedded systems design.
- Expertise in schematic capture, component selection, placement and PCB layout.
- Expertise in embedded systems, processor selection, wireless communication protocols, and low power design constraints.
- Experience in rapid prototyping and debugging board designs.
- Experience managing assembly BOMs and workflows to facilitate build documentation for contract manufacturers.
- Someone who enjoys working with a close-knit team, and getting their hands dirty in the lab. You’ll be involved in the details: soldering, oscilloscopes, data acquisition, and performance analysis.
- A high sense of ownership regardless of whether the problem originates in an area under your direct or indirect control.
- Track record of motivating teams and achieving aggressive performance goals.
- Ability to motivate, drive towards consensus, communicate clearly and effectively in person, in writing or by phone.
- A desire to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment; start-up experience is a plus.
- Someone who will live in / near our office in Madison, WI
Go the Propeller careers page and look for the Apply Now button.
Why This Job Is Important
We empower people with asthma and COPD to lead their lives without limits; we do this by combining technology, education, and empathy to improve decision-making and guide therapy. You’ll create software that conquers respiratory disease.
Achieving a life without limits is an ambitious promise; it demands bold ideas and new viewpoints on old problems. You will learn something new every day as you pioneer new digital health solutions.
Consider Joining Us If You Are
- Eager to work at a fast-paced startup company on a 5 to 7 person self-governed, cross-functional team.
- Passionate about eliminating waste, and getting stuff done.
- Not afraid of changing requirements, even late in development.
- Bold. You embrace risk, and want to solve the tough problems that other organizations fear.
- Naturally curious, and believe in lifelong personal growth.
- A believer that technology can help solve hard problems and change the world.
- Aware that technology, by itself, does not delight customers; the sweet spot is when we combine technology with practical solutions, surprises, utility, and social interaction.
Experience We’re Looking For
- 3-5 professional years creating and maintaining large-scale HA cloud applications.
- Proficiency creating and supporting hosted software products using: NGINX, Node.js, AngularJS, React, MongoDB, Redis, JSON and third-party APIs. Hadoop and machine learning experience would be a bonus.
- Proficiency creating and maintaining automated unit tests, load tests, system tests, and builds/deployments.
- Familiarity with enterprise hosting concepts such as domain naming, load balancing, encryption, and AWS.
- Experience supporting the operations of production software including proactive monitoring.
What You Will Do
You’ll imagine, develop, document, support, and maintain full-stack hosted software. You will:
- Write elegant and functional code
- Ship features often
- Communicate regularly, and overcome “blocks”
- Create software you’re proud of, and that consumers love
Who We Are:
Propeller empowers people with asthma and COPD to live measurably better lives. In 2010, Propeller set out to modernize respiratory medicine, empower people to minimize the impact of asthma and COPD on their daily lives, and connect them to their physicians, environment and community. Our information-powered approach to respiratory management guides physicians and patients to the optimal path of therapy for each individual. With connected inhalers, digital interfaces, and real time personalized insights, participants receive personal guidance and expert direction anytime. Backed by Safeguard Scientifics (NYSE: SFE), Social Capital and other investors, Propeller has been used by patients with asthma or COPD in over 45 commercial programs across the US at major healthcare systems, payers, employers and other commercial partners. The company has been recognized as the recipient of the Fast Company Most Innovative Companies of 2017, the American Telemedicine Association’s 2016 President’s Award for Innovation in Remote Healthcare, and one of the top “Fierce 15” medical device companies in 2015 by FierceMedicalDevices. For more information visit: propellerhealth.com
Go to the Propeller Careers page and look for th Apply Now button.
This company combines Design, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics and Software under one roof to create the most efficient product development lifecycle possible. We complete over 100 projects each year that span many different industries such as: medical, agriculture, consumer goods, industrial and sports and fitness. If you get bored looking over the same projects day after day, this is the job for you!
They need a Senior Electrical Engineer to join our product development team. The individual should have a strong background in electrical engineering fundamentals coupled with a desire to develop new and innovative products in a collaborative environment.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Concept development and functional requirements generation
- System architecture, design and development of systems for a wide range of applications
- Firmware development to enable control, communications & test.
- Component and hardware selection for motion control systems, microcontrollers, power conversion, etc.
- PCB architecture, design and development for both low volume and high volume applications
- Schematic development and PCB layout
- Development of electrical manufacturing documentation as needed
- Interacting with our team and clients to deliver superior product solutions
- Assisting with product validation and production launch
Qualifications and Skills
- A BSEE and minimum of 4 years professional experience in a product development environment (experience to include at least 3 years of PCB development and circuit design).
- Proven track record of EE leadership in a multidisciplinary, team-based environment with ability to effectively envision and communicate concepts.
- Hands-on experience using analytical methods as well as prototyping as a problem solving tool.
- Test and debug skills using common lab equipment coupled with a “persist till you persevere” attitude
- Proficiency with EE CAD software (Altium, Orcad, PADS, Eagle, Expedition, or Cadence)
- Thorough understanding of manufacturing processes and creating electrical engineering documentation
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills with the ability to thoughtfully articulate and present technical ideas
- Experience with UL, FCC and CE certification processes
- Although not required, the ideal candidate will have experience in medical device product development and exposure to FDA, ISO and ASTM standards and global regulations for medical device technology.
121 E . Conant Street
Portage, W I 53901
Phone:608-742-7300 Ex. 304