Job Title: Electrical Design Engineering Manager
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Reports To: Senior Director, Product Development
Scope of responsibility: loT connected products, garage door openers, wet/dry vacs, lighting, power tools
Job Summary: Create meaningful innovative and product solutions to targeted problems. Lead engineering of products from ideas and concepts. Direct, create and manage conceptual ideation, proof of concept building and testing, and prototype design engineering. Create and manage circuit designs, microprocessor code and functional algorithms, PCB/gerber design files, related IP documentation and supporting assets. Provide technical guidance of product definition and specification creation
Job Duties / Responsibilities:
- Generate new designs from ideas and concepts or direction and vision. Manage iterative design process implementing changes, improvements, and feedback to accomplish objectives.
- Develop and evolve existing products implementing new advancements, improvements, cost-outs or innovations.
- Continuously seek meaningfully innovative technologies and contribute to product and technology road mapping process. Participate in cross functional product team meetings.
- Responsible for creation and testing of prototypes – directly fabricating bread board / rapid prototype PCB, coding and programming, contracting outsource, or collaboration with manufacturing vendor partner.
- Manage transitioning conceptual designs to external manufacturing vendor partners, facilitating vendor based engineering’s effort to develop production assets from concept designs.
- Work crossfunctionally with mechanical engineering to achieve proper integration between electrical and mechanical systems.
- Work crossfunctionally with product management ensuring full immersion in product essence and strategy.
- Work with product managers, legal, and vendors to develop and substantiate performance claims to support the marketing of our products
- Utilize project management tools including detailed timelines and other tools to deliver on-time product introductions
- Coordinate and execute competitive product evaluations in the laboratory to fully understand the design, performance, usability and industry best practices for the product category
- Conduct regular product development update or prototype presentations
- Study competitive market, evaluate product and become an expert in the space. Stay aware of current trends and notable product or market moves
Education Experience: Bachelor’s Level Degree
Years of Related Experience: 5-10 years
Travel Requirements: 25%
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering required, MS degree preferred.
- 5+ years experience directly designing electrical aspects of elector-mechanical consumer durable products. Solid understanding of Design for Manufacturability (DFM), Design for Assembly (DFA)
- 5+ years direct experience creating complex, mass production-grade, microprocessor based circuits and code relating to electro-mechanical consumer products
- 5+ years’ experience creating advanced development grade proof of concept PCBs and related code
- Direct experience with rapid prototyping technologies and services
- Design knowledge of wireless communication technologies and best practices
- Thorough understanding of product development, testing and manufacturing processes
- Solid understanding of value proposition need vs want design prioritization, factoring performance, complexity, reliability, timing and cost
- Team player with proven ability to excel in a cross-functional team environment
- Ability to manage working on multiple projects across various product categories with varying priorities. Ability to change directions quickly without emotion
- Leadership attitude, self-starter ambition, strong work ethic, energetic enthusiasm
- Superior verbal and written communications skills
- Superior project/program/time management skills
- Superior ability with word/excel/PowerPoint/image manipulation and digital file management
- Intuitively mindful of expenses with ability to be resourceful, ensure proper value from expenditures
- Experience designing or using power and hand tools
- Experience designing or knowledge of lot and connected products and building block technologies
- Mechanical engineering knowledge or experience
- Advanced development product engineering
- Product management experience
- Experience managing engineers or designers
Salary range: $100,000-150,000/year (+/-) based on experience
Contact / Inquiries:Jim Levin / email: jameslevin (at) mail.com or jameslevin (at) earthlink.net
Telephone: 262.468.4893 / 720.841.3981